Imagens das páginas

sident Jackson, through Mr. Secretary Taney, to extend its discounts to the utmost, with a view of filling the vacuum occasioned by the withdrawal of the United States Bank. It started forthwith on a career of the most reckless and unjustifiable expansions. It nurtured every description of wild and preposterous speculation. Men who never before had the management of more money than would answer the exigencies of a small

business found themselves suddenly in possession of uncounted thousands, and grew absolutely crazy on their golden prospects. The faithful rolled in an affluence which they knew not how to enjoy. They thought the money was theirs for life, and never dreamed of pay-dayand they bought forests in Maine, utterly guiltless of anything like timber--and town-lots west, buried ten feet under water--and farms that will not be touched by the plough for half a century--and every manner of bubble and bauble that the wit of man could devise. Then Canton stock flourished-run up by the pet bank operators in a week from 40 dollars to 250 dollars, by plying the ball well between Boston and New York; and then the India Rubber Companies set up the most remarkable system of humbug that ever imposed on a public. The Roxbury India Rubber went, perhaps, a little beyond anything of the kind on this side of the water. Say that the shares were originally at 40 dollars-a very large dividend was declared, and, the shares being doubled by division, the half-share sold as well as the whole; and, after some half-dozen more divisions and subdivisions, the shares, which might have cost the original holders something like five dollars or less, ran up to 190 dollars, and remained at that notch weeks together. Afterwards the same stock fell to some 20 dollars a share, a new division of it took place, a new assessment was made, and the stock fell from 20 to nothing; and, if it could have fallen any lower, we doubt not that it would have continued falling to this day. Of the same description of humbug was the Malleable Iron Company, the stock of which was run up precisely in the same way—by precisely the same menbought by very much the same set of dupes --and, we believe, fell ultimately to the same point of zero.



Extract--January, 1835.

In thus far considering the situation and prospects of the company, no allusion has been made to that portion of the charter which invests it with the privilege of banking, taking trusts, and dealing in bills of exchange.


From this synopsis it will be at once perceived that this company is in possession of powers and privileges to an extent having no parallel in the United States, and which, it is believed, would, at this moment, be considered a cheap purchase at a premium of half a million of dollars.

FAILURES IN NEW ORLEANS IN 1837. The New Orleans True American has the following startling notice of the aggregate amount of the recent failures in that city :

“ The gross amount of failures in this city, from a careful estimate, is reckoned at ninety-seven millions. This was up to the 4th inst. It is now considerably over one hundred millions. In the end the deficit will be over fifty missions, even if the property in existence be sold at the most favourable rates."




From a New York Paper. The worst anticipations of the day have been realized. For five hours our city has been the prey of an infuriated mob, or rather mobs, who have been carrying destruction before them in every direction. All the efforts of the watch, and of the military, as they were conducted, have not availed to stay the work of desolation, nor scarcely to retard its progress.

Probably not less than one thousand troops have been on duty, including two squadrons of cavalry; but so general was the impression among the mob of the illegality of firing upon them without the presence of the Governor, that they were rather disposed to laugh than to tremble at their approach. If this impression is erroneous, it ought to be immediately removed. Affairs have come to such a pitch, that severe measures must be adopted, or our government is at an end.

Mr. Tappan's store was attacked at half-past nine last evening by a number of boys and men, who fired volleys of stones and broke the upper windows, but did not attempt to force the doors.

Between ten and eleven a large mob assembled at Doctor Cox's church in Laight-street, and smashed in the door and windows, and demolished the interior of the building. From the church they proceeded to Charlton-street, where he resides, but a strong detachment of watchmen were placed in a line across the east end of the street, and prevented all ingress to it. After remaining some time about Charltonstreet the mob proceeded to Spring-street, and attacked the Rev. Mr. Ludlow's church, when a small body of watchmen arrived, and put a momentary stop to their proceedings, and took one or two of the ringleaders into custody. Their companions, however, soon liberated them, beat the watchmen off, and maltreated some of them. They then recom

menced the work of destruction, broke in the doors, shattered the windows to atoms, and entered the church. In a short time they broke up the interior of it, destroying whatever they could. The session-house adjoining shared the same fate. A small party of horse now arrived, who appeared deterred from acting on account of the immense disparity of numbers, as the mob then amounted to several tho nds, and galloped off without attempting to interfere. In order to prevent their return, the mob erected a strong barrier composed of carts and pieces of timber across the street at each side of the church. About half-past eleven a strong detachment of cavalry and infantry arrived on the ground, and the cavalry charged at full gallop against the first barrier, which gave way, and they passed on to the second, against which several of their horses fell before they got through it. They then cleared the middle of the street, and the infantry took possession of the church, the interior of which was already nearly demolished.

As if the tragedy which had just been performed was not sufficient to satisfy the mob, a gentleman, whose name we believe is Wood, added a farce to it by addressing the mob in the most outré style, commencing his discourse by saying that he was neither a civil nor military officer, and declaring that he would willingly cut the ears off of any man who would propose to amalgamate a black man and white woman. He then went on to show the impropriety of the course which the mob was pursuing, and requested them to withdraw, saying, at the same time, that the military would withdraw first. He then turned round to the military, and in an authoritative tone desired them to face about. The military, however, maintained their ground, and the mob, after first enjoying a hearty laugh, commenced yelling and hissing in a most tremendous


A sort of compact was then agreed on between them and the mob, by which the military were to leave the ground and the mob immediately to disperse. The military then marched off, but the mob, instead of fulfilling their part of the agreement, returned into the church, rang the bell in token of triumph, and again began to destroy whatever remained undemolished. In about twenty minutes the military again returned and took possession of the church. About midnight the mob began to disperse, but neither willingly nor in large numbers, nor in such a manner as to do away the impression that they might not renew the attack.

Whilst this mob was spending its fury upon the churches in Laightstreet and Spring-street, another mob assembled at the African church, opposite the Opera-house. They, however, retired, after dashing a few stones into the windows.

Between eleven and twelve o'clock a detachment of the mob proceeded from Spring-street church to the Rev. Mr. Ludlow's house in Thompson-street, between Prince and Houston, broke the windows and doors, but were prevented from going in by the arrival of a squadron of cavalry. Mr. Ludlow and his family were out of town.

About eleven o'clock another mob attacked St. Philip's African Episcopal church in Centre-street---Rev. Peter Williams, a coloured man, pastor,--and demolished it almost entirely, including a fine organ. The furniture they took out and burned it in the street.

The windows of the African Baptist church in Anthony-street were broken to atoms.

The African school-house in Orange-street, which is also used as a Methodist meeting-house, was totally demolished. 3. Several houses where coloured people resided, in Orange-street and Mulberry-street, between Anthony and Walker, and about the Five Points, were greatly injured or totally destroyed. The mob compelled the occupants of the houses to set lights at the windows, and wherever coloured people were seen, or no lights were shown, the work of destruction commenced. In one case a coloured woman advanced to the window with her light, when in an instant some missile was sent which knocked her down and extinguished the light.

Two houses in Anthony-street were attacked, and the furniture brought out into the street and burned. One or two in Leonard-street shared the same fate.

The distress occasioned to the families in this vicinity, both whites and blacks, by this unexpected visit, was very great. Although many of the inhabitants are of dissolute character, there are others, particularly a number of Irish families, whose only crime was that they were poor.


From the Pennsylvanian. WE regret to announce the destruction, by fire, of the spacious and valuable meeting-house, No. 5, Wall-street, near Broadway, known as “The First Presbyterian Church of New York," and owned by the congregation under the pastoral charge of the Rev. Dr. Phillips. More especially do we regret it, as, from the best information we have been able to gather, there is too much reason to believe that it was set fire to by an incendiary.

There had, we learn, been neither fire nor light inside of the church for more than two months—the night meetings of the congregation being held in an adjacent building. On Saturday forenoon the sexton, Mr. Crane, opened the church, for the purpose of dusting the cushions and furniture, and one of the doors was left unlocked in the afternoon, for some occasion connected with the above service. At half after five in the afternoon a smoke was seen issuing out through the roof, on the west side, near the steeple. On discovering it, a man engaged in the erection of a building adjacent immediately entered the church, and ascended to a room in the steeple, under the belfry, whence there was an entrance by an aperture about three feet square into the space between the dome and the roof. He found the smoke issuing in dense volumes from that space through the aperture, while no other part of the building was then on fire. As there were no materials there, in the knowledge of any one, that could produce spontaneous combustion, and as the roof was covered with slate, the conclusion is irresistible, that the fire must have been placed there intentionally. The

space above mentioned, being filled with timbers for the support of the roof and dome, afforded abundance of aliment for the flames, which, in a few minutes, and before the alarm collected the fire-department in sufficient force to arrest their progress, had burst out and enveloped the upper part of the building. In a short time they communicated to the steeple, which, a little before seven o'clock, fell inwards,

with the bell, through the roof. The cushions, books, &c., were mostly rescued, but all the remaining contents of the church, including a valuable organ and chandelier, were entirely consumed, leaving the four massive walls standing bare.

This church was one of the oldest in the city. It was founded in 1709, enlarged in 1748, and rebuilt in 1810 at a cost of 42,000 dollars. It was insured for 20,000 dollars in two offices—10,000 dollars in each.

From the Boston Morning Post. Mysterious CircuMSTANCE.--On Monday night last, about half-past eight o'clock, an explosion took place directly in front of the Congregational meeting-house, where the choir of singers were at the time assembled for the purpose of singing. It proved to be an old and rusty gunbarrel, which was split into several pieces, one of which, about four inches in length, passed directly through the front window and lodged in the room of the house occupied by Captain Charles Currier. Providentially no one at the time was in the room. Had any one been sitting by the window at the time the result would have been fatal.

The gun was placed at the fence by the side of the road, evidently pointing to the meeting-house. It was supposed to have been fired by means of a slow match.

From the Pennsylvania.

INFAMOUS. The building for public worship in Pikeland township, Chester county, denominated St. Peter's Church, was set fire to, as is supposed, by some incendiary, on the night of the 20th instant, and entirely consumed.

Office of the Telegraph, Harrisburg,

Oct. 21, 1838, half-past 10, P.M. Dear Sir,--I have just returned from another awful and destructive conflagration, one exceeding in its desolation that of July last, and destroying in its course the Lutheran church, the finest church in Harrisburg

The fire commenced at about five o'clock, in the carpenter's shop of Messrs. Holman and Simons, in Market-street, just opposite to where the fire was arrested in July last, and is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary, as there had been no fire in the shop this season.

The loss of property is about 25,000 dollars. The church cost 15,000 dollars when built, and its organ, with all the interior, except the chandeliers, was consumed.

CHURCH BURNED.—The Catholic Church at Burlington, Vt., was destroyed by fire on the 10th inst. It is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary, as no fire had been used in the building for several days.

A SLIGHT disturbance took place in an African church in New York on Sunday night. The mob took possession for an hour, and then quietly

« AnteriorContinuar »