Imagens das páginas

his corpse should be conveyed to England, or be buried on the spot; which was not determined before I left the General's quarters. I resolved, therefore, not to embark with the troops, but remained on shore till the morning, when, on going to his quarters, I found that his body had been removed during the night to the quarters of Colonel Graham, in the citadel, by the officers of his staff, from whence it was borne by them, assisted by myself, to the grave which had been prepared for it on one of tho bastions of the citadel. It being now daylight, the enemy discovered that the troops had been withdrawing and embarking during the night. A fire was opened by them shortly after upon the ships which were still in the harbour. The funeral service was, therefore, performed without delay, as we were exposed to the fire of the enemy's guns; and after having shed a tear over the remains of the departed General, whose body we wrapt

With his martial cloak around him, there having been no means to provide a coffin-the earth closed upon him, and

We left him alone with his glory!" The following are the names of the officers who were present, and who assisted to bear the body of Sir John Moore to his grave :-Lord Lynedoch (then Colonel Graham); Lord Seaton (then Major Colborne); General (then Colonel) Anderson : Major (now General) Sir C. Napier; Captains (now Colonels) Percy and Stanhope; and Rev. H. J. Symons, A.M., Chaplain to the Guards, by whom the funeral service was performed. This interesting notification of what might hereafter have passed for historic fact has lately been quoted in a review of a sermon preached last year before the Camp at Aldershott, by the Chaplain, to whose lot it fell “ to attend that lamented General, Sir John Moore, in his last moments -to assist in bearing his body to the grave--and to perform the funeral service over his remains."

While this volume was in the course of compilation, and a few days after the above note had been selected for use, it was almost startling to see that the Rev. Mr. Symons himself was no more.


IN A RAILWAY CARRIAGE.—The sudden death of H. J. Symons, LL.D., who has for the last few months been officiating at Pelham, near Gainsborough, during the absence of the Rev. Mr. Doherty, took place on the 21st inst., in a railway carriage. The deceased took a ticket at Blyton, distance about a quarter of a mile from his residence, by the 8.45 train for Gainsborough. In order to reach the station, however, before the arrival of the train, he had, it would seem, exerted himself very much, for when he entered the carriage he was noticed, by some of the passengers, to be in a state of apparently complete exhaustion. He requested a gentleman who was sitting next the door to change places with him, saying at the same time he felt hot, and wished to get a little air. This request being immediately acceded to, the worthy doctor took up his position near the window. Very soon after the deceased's face was observed to assume a very unnatural appearance, and just as the train reached the Spital-road bridge he gave one deepdrawn gasp-his head fell upon his breast-the breath of life fled—the relentless hand of death seized upon him, and he was a corpse. As soon as the train arrived at the Gainsborough station the utmost despatch was used in getting the body from the train, and in sending for a doctor. Dr. Duigan was promptly on the spot, but pronounced life to be quite extinct. He gave it as his opinion that death had resulted from disease of the heart, accelerated by undue exertion. Deceased was a late fellow of St. Johu's College, Oxford. He was also late vicar of Hereford, and chaplain to her Majesty's Forces and to the late Dukes of Kent and Cambridge. Deceased read thr funeral service at the burial of the celebrated Sir John Moore at Corunna.- Observer, March 29th, 1857.

[ocr errors]


« AnteriorContinuar »