« AnteriorContinuar »
7. Four 1 clear days before the day 'fixed for the Election, the Returning Oflicer shall give public notice, by advertisement in the local newspapers or otherwise, of the names, designations, and places of abode of the several Candidates nominated as aforesaid, and not withdrawn.
8. If the number of Candidates nominated and not withdra.wn shall equal but not exceed the number of Members to be elected, it shall be notied by the Returning Ofiicer, in publishing the names of the Candidates so nominated, that as the number of Candidates accords with the number of Members to be elected, there will be no poll, and that on the day of Election these Candidates will be held to be duly elected
Members of the School Board.
9. If the due number of Candidates has not been nominated, the Returning Oliicer shall report to the Board of Education that no Election has taken place.
10. If, four clear days before the day fixed for the day of Election, the number of Candidates nominated and not withdrawn shall exceed the number of Members to be elected, the Returning Ollicer, or such person or persons as shall be appointed by him for the purpose, shall on the day of Election proceed to take and collect, by ballot, the votes of the Electors, in like manner as a poll at a contested Municipal Election is directed, by the Ballot Act, 1872, to be taken; and, subject to these Rules and Directions, the provisions of that Act shall apply to the Election of a School Board, with the substitution of the term “ School Board Election ” for the term “ Municipal Election.
11. If the Burgh has been divided into Wards or Sections for the purposes of the Election, then the votes in each Ward or Section shall be collected and counted, not separately, but for the Burgh as a whole.
12. Within Three clear days after the day of Election, the Returning Oflicer shall, by advertisement in the local newspapers or otherwise, publish a List of those persons as Members of the School Board who have been returned without a poll, or those who, in case of a contest, have had a majority of votes; and shall make a. return of the names of said Members to the Board of Education.3
By order of the Board of Education for Scotland.
1 Eight days are allowed in English boroughs. Candidates may in England be
Method of counting votes.
Notice of members elected ;
return sent to Board.
164 APPENDIX.—NUMBERS IN SCHOOL BOARDS, ETC.
Scale of Board Regulating Numbers in each School Board.
When the population (according to the census of 1871) of any Burgh, Parish, or School District exceeds 100,000, the School Board shall consist gf 15 members. When it—
Amounts to 75,000, and does not exceed 100,000, 13 Members. 50,000, „ 75,000, 11 „
10,000, „ 50,000, 9 „
2,500, „ 10,000, 7
When it does not exceed 2,500, 5 Members.
This Scale shall be applicable in all cases, unless where, on a special representation made to the Board of Education, the number for any Parish or Burgh may have been otherwise determined.
List of Small Burghs, with populations under 3000, united to parishes in terms of Section 11 of the Education (Scotland) Act, by the Board of Education:—
New Galloway ...
North Berwick ...
Parish to which United.
* Royal burghs.
Circular as to Quoad Sacra Parishes.
The following Circular, with regard to Quoad Sacra Parishes, has been issued by the Board :—
Quoad Sacra Parishes. January 1873.
Board Op Education For Scotland, Edinburgh, 2lst January 1873. Eev. Sir,
To enable this Board to make up a correct List of those Quoad Sacra Parishes entitled, under the 10th Section of the Education (Scotland) Act, 1872, to separate School Boards, I am directed to request that you will be good enough to supply the information required in the subjoined Form.
If you will kindly return this paper in course of post, it will be esteemed a favour.
I am, Eev. Sir, your obedient Servant,
To the Minister of the Quoad Sacra Parish
N.B.—From the terms of the 10th Section of the Education Act, only such Quoad Sacra Parishes as are composed of two or more parts of Parishes will be entitled to separate School Boards.
List of Quoad Sacra Parishes entitled to School Boards under Section 10 of Education Act, 1872.
Enzie . . . Fochabers . . Bellie and Rathven
Cruden, Ellon, Longside, Old Deer.
Savoch . . Ellon .
Ythan Wells . Huntly
Joined to Fetteresso by Order of Board, 31st January 1873.
Friockheim. . Arbroath .
Kirkden and Inverkeillor.
County and Post Town. Civil Parishes from which taken.
Methven, Redgorton, Monzie, and
Abbotshall and Kinghorn.
Glassary and Glenaray.
Greenock West and Inverkip.
Ayr and Maybole.
Kirkmichael, Maybole, and Kirk
New Monkland and Shotts.
Newbattle, Cockpen, Temple, and
Galashiels, Stow, Selkirk, Yarrow.
Monigaff and Penninghame.
Leswalt and Portpatrick.