3. Has the Invention of Gunpowder been of Benefit
to Mankind ?
4. Which is the more valuable Member of Society,
a great Mechanician or a great Poet ?
5. Which was the greater Orator, Demosthenes or
6. Which is the more despicable Character, the
Hypocrite or the Liar?
7 Has the Fear of Punishment, or the Hope of
Reward, the greater Influence on Human
8. Is Corporal Punishment justifiable ?
9 Was Brutus justified in killing Cæsar ?
10. Should Emulation be encouraged in Education ? 268
11. Which was the greater Poet, Milton or Homer? 268
12. Is Military Renown a fit Object of Ambition ? 269
13. Is Ambition a Vice or a Virtue ?
14. Has Novel-reading a Moral Tendency?
15. Is the Character of Queen Elizabeth deserving
of our Admiration ?
16. Is England rising or falling as a Nation ?
17. Has Nature or Education the greater Influence
in the Formation of Character ?
18. Which is the more valuable Metal, Gold or Iron? 271
19. Is War in any case justifiable ?
20. Has the Discovery of America been beneficial
to the World ?
21. Can any Circumstances justify a Departure from
22. Is Sporting justifiable ?
23. Does not Virtue necessarily produce Happiness,
and does not Vice necessarily produce Misery,
in this Life ?
24 From which does the Mind gain the more Know-
ledge, Reading or Observation ?