« AnteriorContinuar »
English fect. Foot of Mount York, Collet's farm (Mr. Morris's) 2180 Mount Adine, flanking Reedy Valley, West - 3736 Ford at Cox's River, Vale of Clwyd - - 2052 Capt. P. P. King. Walerawang (farm and estate of Mr. Walker) 2410 Strzelecki. Dividing range, S. W. of Walerawang Fish River, on the road to Bathurst - - 3220 Military station (barracks) Blue Mountains - 3010 Badger Brush Ridge
- 3290 Police station, dividing range, Bathurst - 2910 Cox's River, before reaching Blaxland's - 2266 Capt. P. P. King. Mount Blaxland, the highest summit • 3256 Jock's Bridge Hill beyond Jock's Bridge
- 3496 Bathurst Town
- 2310 Strzelecki. Woodstock
• 2600 Guwong, Nicholson's farm
• 2950 Summer Hill, Frederick Valley
- 3010 Boree Plains .
- 1560 Mount Canoblas, Wellington
- 4610 Captain Ryan's, Boree station
- 1992 Molongorang (Mr. Passemore's) . • 2062 Heregal (Mr. Maxwell's station) - - 1616 Macquarie River at Wellington
- 1439 Guantewang, N. E. of Wellington Vale - 1410 Camden (estate of James M'Arthur, Esq.) - 248 Capt. P. P. King. Mount Prudhoe (summit above the road) - 1006 Stone quarry creek, below the bridge - • 482 Crisp's Inn, Myrtle Creek, Camden Bed of Myrtle Creek
613 Bargo River, ford -.
• 771 Lapton's Inn
- 1206 Little Forest Hill, half a mile beyond the turning of the road
1923 Cutter's Inn, Camden
· 1967 Mittagong Range, summit, or new line - 2454 Cordeaux farm
• 2222 Cockatoo Hill
• 2356 Berrima Inn
- 2096 Bed of the Wingecarrabee River
- 2058 Bed of Black Bob's Creek, under the bridge . 2051 The Kentish Arms Inn, three miles beyond Midway Rivulet - -
• 2028 Bed of Midway Kivulet, Camden
• 2003 Summit of Stony Hill
- 2400 Wombat Brush, terrace above Paddy's River - 2128 Ford of Paddy's River, Camden - - 1856 Arthursleigh (estate of Mr. H. M‘Arthur,
Argyle) - - - - 1977
English feet. Norwood, Argyle
- 2116 Capt. P. P. King. Rosseville House
- 2057 Breadalbane Plains
- 2278 Summit of hill S. of Wallagoray
- 2606 Tarrago Ponds, Argyle
- 2264 Ajimatong Cottage (verandah) - - 2148 Therolonong, summit above Ajimatong - 3108 Lake George Gap -
• 2151 Gidleigh, estate of Captain P. P. King - 2358 Sugar Loaf, or Squall Hill, near Gidleigh • 3288 Saddle Hill
3001 Rocky Bridge
- 2695 Big Creek, near the gap through the Black Range
- 2979 Head of Big Creek and Stony Creek
- 3136 Summit of Prospect Hill -
- 3275 Last Hill. .
- 3176 Wollondilly River, below Rosseville
- 1971 at the junction of Paddy's River 1840 at the ford of Arthursleigh - 1830
at Detley crossing place - - 1752 Summit above Ajimatong (W.)
- 2718 P. G. King. Gundaroo, Murray
- 1746 Davies Inn
- 1539 Gum Tree Summit
- 1490 Yass River Rivulet
- 1311 Green's Inn
- 1204 Burton's, Murrumbidgee River Broadribbs
- 799 Ellerslie (sheep station of Hannibal MArthur, Esq.) .
- 1261 Nackie Nackie Hill Dutzton, a sheep station of P. King, Esq.,
(Lat. 35° 27' long. 147° 53') . 1844 Strzelecki. Walerogang, on the river Hume - - 753 Camp under the Snowy Range
. 1223 Mount Kosciuszko, Australian Alps
- 6500 Mount Dargal
- 5490 Mount Pinnabar
- 4100 Cowrang Creek
- 1350 Dividing range in the Omeo country · - 3800 Source of the Mitta-Mitta River
- 1850 Lake Omeo .
• 3100 Second branch of Mitta-Mitta River - 1900 The average height of the flats in Gipp's Land 210 Range between Gipp's Land and Port Western 2510 Mount Wilson, Wilson's Promontory - 2350
Islands of Bass's Straits.
English feet. Rotondo .
- 1130 Capt. Stokes. Devil's Tower
350 Hogan Group
- 430 Curtis Island
- 1060 Mount Quoin, Flinder's Island
736 The Patriarchs
- 830 Sugar Loaf
- 1410 Strzelecki's Peak, Flinder's Island
- 2550 Mount Munro
- 2300 Clarke Island
VAN DIEMEN'S LAND.
, N. W. point - - 4354
• 4.500 Cradle Mountain, north of Lake St. Clair - 4700 Dry's Bluff, Western Tier
• 4590 Mount Wellington, Flagstaff
3801 Black Range, vale of Belvoir
- 3381 Four Miles Rise, river Forth
2957 Gad's Hill, river Mersey
2588 Table Land, forming the base of Ben Nevis - 2327 Table Land, watered by the North Esk - 2220 Mount St. Patrick .
- 2277 Mount Stokes Mount Herschell
1200 Range between Mr. Whittle's farm and Watery Plains - .
1506 Signal Hill (Mr. Kesmode's)
• 992 Asbestos Range
- 1700 Capt. Stokes. Mount Arthur
- 3900 Badger's Head
- 1300 Mount George, Signal Station
617 Sugar Loaf, near Mount George
.642 Summit over fourteen miles Bluff
320 Government Cottage, Georgetown .
Lantern of Lighthouse on Low Head
- 140 Capt. Stokes.
Lakes and Watercourses.
• 3822 Strzelecki. Arthur's Lake
. 3388 Lake St. Clair
• 3239 Source of the Nive
. 4033 Source of the Leven
- 2404 River Mersey (crossing place to V. D. Land Company's Station)
- 1012 River Forth (crossing place, Circular Pond
• - 2150
Towns and Stations. Government Hut at the Traveller's River - 3949 Strzelecki. Sheep station of Mr. Wood at the Great Lake 3822 Sheep station of Mr. James Clark, north of Marlborough
- 3124 Bronte, Marlborough
- 2912 Marlborough
- 1308 Circular Pond Marshes
1140 Mr. Reid's farm Caldstock . ..
901 Captain Lloyd's farm, Westbury
860 Patcham (V. D. L. Company's farm) Arundel, Western Tier
879 Coal Seam, Jerusalem
843 Formosa (an estate of Mr. Lawrance)
806 Mr. Legge's farm, Break-o' Day
577 Mona Vale (property of Mr. Kermode)
585 Campbell Town -
567 Black Boy's Plain (Mr. Talbot's) . 571 Egglestown (Mr. Headlam's)
549 Malahide (Mr. Talbot's)
431 Hamilton Town
346 Mr. Steil's, St. Patrick's
243 Rose Garland (property of Mr. Barker) 164 Mr. Hull's house, Mount Wellington
. 169 Risdon House
- 150 Dr. Pugh's house, Launceston Richmond Town
67 Ringarooma (property of the Rev. Dr. Brown) 11
To the above table of altitudes, I may add a few other of the more important results which the hypsometrical survey furnishes.
1st. As regards New South Wales:
The mean altitude of the divisa aquarum, in that colony, is 3500 feet above the level of the sea.
The average fall of its eastern rivers is estimated at 48 feet in every mile. The average slope of the land, produced by the transversal spurs, is 96 feet.
The average fall of the westerly waters is 9 feet in every mile; that of the country within 72 miles from the crest of the dividing range is 20 feet.
2d. As regards Van Diemen's Land:
The mean height of the divisa aquarum is 3750 feet above the level of the sea.
The average fall of the eastern rivers is estimated at 93 feet in every mile; and the average fall of the country, at 120 feet.