« AnteriorContinuar »
5. Of the flood. Soon after men had multiplied upon the earth, they became extremely wicked, and so provoked their Maker that he determined to destroy most of the race. For this purpose, he brought a flood upon the earth, which destroyed the whole race, except one family. This was the family of Noah, who was a righteous man, and who, by God's direction, constructed an ark, in which he and his wife, and his three sons and their wives, were preserved.
6. Family of Noah. Noah had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. The latter was the eldest son; and by the descendants of these three sons, the earth was re-peopled, after the flood. And to give assurance to Noah and his posterity that the earth should not be again overwhelmed with a deluge, God set the rainbow in the clouds, as a token of his covenant that he would not again destroy the human family.
7. Dispersion of men. In the first age of the world, the descendants of Noah constituted one family, and had the same language. But migrating from the east, they settled in the plain of Shinar; and there undertook to build a city and a tower that might reach to heaven, and thus exalt their renown and prevent their dispersion. This displeased God, and he confounded their language, so that they were compelled to abandon their project. This was the cause of their dispersion. The city which they attempted to build was called Label, that is, confusion.
8. Division of the earth. The three sons of Noah were the heads of three great families. The family of Shem settled on the great plains of Syria and Arabia. Of this family are the Chaldeans, Syrians, and Arabians; and among these was Abraham, the father of the Hebrews or Israelites. The posterity of Ham peopled Egypt and other parts of Africa. From Japheth descended the inhabitants of the northern parts of Asia, and all the nations of Europe.
9. Descendants of Japheth. The scripture informs us that Japheth had seven sons; Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Mesheck, and Tiras. Of these, Tiras is supposed to have settled Thrace, now a part of Turkey
in Europe. Javan's descendants settled in Greece. The descendants of the other sons peopled some part of Persia, Asia Minor, and the countries about the Euxine and Caspian seas.
10. Descendants of Javan. Elisha, one of Javan's sons, is supposed to be Hellas in Greece; Spain is supposed, with good reason, to be intended by Tarshish; and the Rhodanim were undoubtedly the inhabitants of France on the Rhone; this latter name being contracted from Rhodan. The northern nations of Europe, called Teutons and Goths, who were ancestors of the Germans and Saxons, were the descendants of Gomer and his son Ashkenaz, and of Tiras. These descendants of Japheth's sons last named, migrated from the east very early, and from them descended the English, and their posterity in the United States. The ancestors of the Germans and English migrated from Persia. This is certain ; for many German and English words, such as father, mother, brother, daughter, and many others, are Persian words in popular use to this day.
11. Primitire inhabitants of Britain. The first inhabitants of Britain were of the race of Celts, who settied in Italy and Gaul, now France, and in Spain. Those appear to have been the first inhabitants of the south of Europe. The Celts, or aboriginals of Britain, were conquered or supplanted by the Cymry or Cimbri, from Denmark and Holland, the ancestors of the Welsh; but their descendants or people of the same race remained in the north and west of Ireland, and in the Highlands of Scotland. Before the Christian era, the south part of Britain was possessed by tribes írom Belgium, or the low countries on the continent.
12. Varieties of the human race. Although mankind are all descendants of one pair, Adam and Eve, yet great diversities now exist in the color, form, and features of different nations. In classing the varieties of men, writers on natural history are not agreed. Put the following division into six classes or varieties, may be sufficient to present a tolerably correct view of the diversities of men, viz. the Lapland race, the Tartars, Hindoos, Negroes, Europeans, and native Indians or aboriginals of América. 13. Lapland race. The extreme northern
n parts of Asia, Europe, and America, are inhabited by the Samoids, Lapps, Greenlanders, Esquimaux, and other tribes of men quite different from the rest of the human race. They have small bodies, many of them four feet high or little more, a broad visage,' a short, flat nose, eyes of a yellowish brown or dark color, the eyelids drawn towards the temples, the cheek-bones high, the mouth very large, with thick lips, the head large, the hair black and straight, the skin of a dark grayish color, the voice thin and squeaking.
14. Tartars. The Tartars inhabit the northern and central parts of Asia. They are of a middle size, strong and robust. The upper part of the face is broad, and wrinkled, even in youth; the nose is short and flat'; the eyes small and deep in the head, and sometimes separated by a distance of four inches; the cheek-bones are yery high; the lower part of the face varrow; the.chin long and projecting; the teeth of an enormous size, and separated; the eyebrows thick and large; the face flat; the hair black, and the complexion of an olive color. They have little beard, and short legs. Of this variety the Čalmues are the most ugly.
15. Hindoos. The Hindoo variety comprehends the inhabitants of the southern parts of Asia, and of the isles south of Asia. Their bodies are slender, the hair straight and black; the nose aquiline. In the northern parts of India, the color of the skin is olive, but in the southern parts quite black. They come to maturity at an earlier age than the natives of cooler climates. The female Hindoos are wrinkled at thirty years of age. These people are cowardly and effeminate.
16. Ñegroes. The inhabitants of the interior of Africa are black, with a smooth soft skin; the hair is short and woolly, the eyes of a deep hazle ; the nose flat and short; the lips thick and tumid ; and the teeth of an ivory whiteness. The body of the negroes is generally well formed and of full size, but the legs are often bent outwards, and the heel projects farther than that of Europeans.
17. Europeans. The most distinguished variety of men comprehends most of the inhabitants of Europe, the Georgians and Circassians in Asia, and the Turks; together with the descendants of Europeans in America. In the middle region of Europe and Asia, the inhabitants are of a clear white complexion ; along the shores of the Mediterranean, their color has a shade of olive. This race of men are characterized by the size and symmetry of the body, the strength of the limbs, the vigor of the understanding, and by their improvements in science and the arts.
18. Natives of America. The sixth variety of the human race comprehends all the natives or aboriginals of America, except the Esquimaux. These are probabiy descendants from the Asiatics, as they greatly resemble the present inhabitants of the northern Chinese. Their bodies are straight, well made, and of a good size; their skin of a copper color; their hair straight and black; their beards thin ; their noses flat; their cheekbones high, and their eyes small.