« AnteriorContinuar »
8. The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever : forsake not the works of thine own hands.
Sublime anthem of praise and prayer of David, after he bad pre
vented Abishai from imbruing his hands in the blood of Saul; when they penetrated by midnight into his camp, and found him reposing in the midst of his sleeping army in his tent, at the hill of Hachilah ; when he contented himself, instead, with taking away his spear, and his cruse of water. 1 Sam. xxvi. 5–25.
To the chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
To the giver of victory. A Psalm of David. 1. O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3. Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4. For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
5. Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7. Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence ?
8. If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold thou art there.
9. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10. Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11. If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12. Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13. For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marrellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17. How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18. If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand : when I awake, I am still with thee.
19. Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.
20. For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.
dey speak , ye bloody A, o God:
21. Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
22. I hate them with perfect hatred : I count them mine enemies.
23. Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts :
24. And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
PSALM CXL. 38. Prayer of David, when Saul advanced against him with three
thousand men as far as the mountain of Hachilah, near the wilderness of Ziph, where David was concealed. 1 Sam. xxvi. 1-4,
To the chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
To the giver of victory. A Psalm of David. 1. DELIVER me, O Lord, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
2. Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war.
3. They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selab.
4. Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who hath purposed to overthrow my goings.
5. The proud have hid a snare for me, and cords; they have spread a net by the wayside ; they have set gins for me. Selah.
6. I said unto the Lord, Thou art my God : hear the voice of my supplications, O Lord.
7. O God the Lord, the strength of my salvation, thou hast covered my head in the day of battle.
8. Grant not, O Lord, the desires of the wicked: further not his wicked device; lest they exalt themselves. Selah.
9. As for the head of those that compass me about, let the mischief of their own lips cover them.
10. Let burning coals fall upon them : let them be cast into the fire; into deep pits, that they rise not up again.
11. Let not an evil speaker be established in the earth: evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him.
12. I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and the right of the poor.
13. Surely the righteous shall give thanks unto thy name: the upright shall dwell in thy presence.
PSALM CXLI. 39. Prayer of David, on being informed by his spies, at night, that
Saul was actually encamped at hand, near Hachilah, over against Jesbimon. 1 Sam. xxvi. 4.
A Psalm of David. 1. LORD, I cry unto thee: make haste. unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.
2. Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands, as the evening sacrifice.
3. Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.